THE NICE EXCUSE - HILARIOUS ENGLISH JOKE

A guy bought a new Mercedes and was out on an inter-state road for a nice evening drive. As the needle jumped to 80 miles an hour he suddenly saw flashing red a blue lights behind him.
Confident he could outrun the police car he began to drive faster. The needle hit 90, 100, 120 with the lights still behind him. “What am I doing.” he thought and pulled over.
The cop came up to him, took his licence without a word and examined it and the car. “I've had a tough shift and this is my last pull over. I don't feel like more paper work so if you can give me an excuse for your diving that I haven't heard before you can go.”
“Last week my wife ran off with a cop.” the man said, “and I was afraid you were trying to give her back.”
“Have a nice night,” said the officer.